Saturday, December 10, 2011

Not Your Grandmother's China

I confess, I have a weakness for china. And I have no business even thinking about china: my husband and I are lousy with family china from both sides, and it would be sheer insanity to acquire any more.  However, while Christmas shopping yesterday, I stopped dead when I saw this unusual pattern.  




It's Gien's Sultana.  If this were your china, I can guarantee that when they inherit it, YOUR great grandchildren will one day say, Wow, that great grandmother of ours, she was pretty hip.


Another favorite of mine is this one from Mottahedeh:


The pattern is Torquay Blue, but it's been discontinued and is only available now on eBay or through Replacements.  It also came in green.  It has to be one of the only china patterns with seaweed in it.




My all-time favorite, Royal Copenhagen's Blue Fluted, Plain really might have been your grandmother's china.  And her grandmother's grandmother's.  It's been in production since 1775, but I think it still looks totally fresh and modern.  I think it always will.  Apparently a few other people must agree, because Williams Sonoma is now selling it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment