Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bombproof Upholstery

After enduring three dogs, one toddler, and bleaching, high-altitide sun, our sofa is looking pretty disreputable.  I've been thinking about recovering it in Sunbrella.  We have it on our outdoor daybed, and I've been impressed with how well it has held up, and how easy it is to clean.  So, in my spare time, while I'm not chasing said toddler and three dogs, I've had fun looking at Sunbrella and other outdoor fabrics online and have ordered a stack of swatches.  What's exciting to me is that so many of them don't look or feel like outdoor fabrics at all.  Take a look.  All of these are outdoor fabrics.



See what I mean?  This is Robert Allen's Arizona Way in Bluebell.  Doesn't exactly scream SAILBOAT, does it?  Now, this one isn't cheap, but I might splurge on a couple of yards for pillows.  It would look great with more pillows in:



Robert Allen's Cross Road in Bluebell.  Then maybe the sofa would be chocolate brown, like: 


Sunbrella's Heritage in Mink, which (bonus!) happens to be made of 50% recycled content.  And it's only about $16/ yard to boot.

Elsewhere, maybe on an arm chair, I could use a straw-colored fabric with a subtle patterned weave, like Kravet's Diamond Rafia in Amber, below, which would echo the diamond patterns in the pillows.  And maybe I should hunt for a rug in cream, navy blue, and chocolate brown (while I'm dreaming).  






No comments:

Post a Comment